Please don’t feed your puppy chocolate or peanut butter

It’s normal to slip your dog a scrap of food or two under the table, but did you know that many of the items you could be feeding him could result in him getting extremely sick, and can even be fatal?

It’s a scary thought, especially when all we want to do is spoil our pets and make sure they’re loved and safe. Before you slip your dog your next bit of leftovers, keep in mind these 15 items your dog should never have.

Chocolate

The sweet treat that’s loved by humans is not going to be loved by your dog’s body according to Net Pet Magazine. The chemical in chocolate called Theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, could be toxic to your pooch. It’s a natural stimulant found in the cocoa bean.

Theobromine becomes toxic when it’s ingested in 100 to 150 kilograms of body weight, which means the smaller the dog, the higher the risk. There’s varying levels of Theobromine in chocolate depending on the type. The high amount of fat in chocolate is also dangerous to your dog.

White and milk chocolate are less risky than baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate, however, even with the lighter chocolates, the fat can still cause a serious issue. Signs of poisoning include panting, excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, seizures, and hyperactivity. Within the first couple of hours, you’ll notice vomiting and diarrhea, with symptoms worsening as the Theobromine is absorbed into his system.

Depending on the size of the dog combined with the amount of chocolate, death is also a very real risk. According to the RSPCA, chocolate ingestion is one of the most common poisonings amongst dogs.

So how can you prevent your pooch from getting his paws on it? Always make sure to keep chocolate in a tightly sealed container or up high in a cabinet where he can’t reach it. Don’t underestimate the power of a hungry dog.

Even if you leave chocolate on the table and push it back away from the edge, it’s very possible he can get a hold of it anyway. If you have any chocolate gifts to give, hide them as well, preferably up high, as the animal could easily sniff it out and go right through the paper to get what he wants.

Chocolate should be kept away from dogs at all costs, and considering the highly toxic nature of the food, it’s necessary to get him to the vet immediately.

Peanut butter

Most dog lovers know dogs love peanut butter. Its unique smell ensures a dog’s interest when the PB&J’s are being made.

One reason so many parents feed children these sandwiches is that peanut butter is often on the list of healthy foods for kids. It turns out peanut butter is full of nutrients and can play a role in keeping a dog healthy.

Vets at both The Nest and Paw Nation speak favorably of peanut butter being one human food that almost all dogs can and do enjoy. Of course, they don’t need the jelly and the peanut butter served to dogs should be all-natural, avoiding chemicals, salt and sugar. The peanut is a prime source of nutrients, vitamins and healthy fats.

It’s okay to go with either creamy or crunchy, although crunchy will get a bit more of the desirable facts into the dog’s system.

One strong caution about peanut butter concerns allergies. A very few dogs will exhibit the same problem with peanuts that affect some humans. It’s important to observe a dog’s reaction for a time after they are given their first taste of peanut butter.

If there seems to be any problem, get the dog to a vet as quickly as possible. There are actually peanut-sniffing dogs trained to protect children with this allergy. They alert at the slightest smell of peanuts.

Many vets recommend using peanut butter as an excellent camouflage for pills and other dog medicines. Many will gulp a glob of peanut butter down, oblivious to any hidden pills.

Here’s one tip for feeding a dog peanut butter. Skip the spoon and scoop the peanut butter with a carrot or similar item. Dogs get excited about peanut butter and may bite down too hard on the spoon. There are actually case each year, according to Paw Nation, where dogs swallow a spoon or get it lodged in their throat in their frenzied acceptance of this favored treat.

To read more go to the article this is from here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s